Thursday, March 06, 2003

Local Politics
When I lived in Austin, I thought Texas politics was odd. But I also read Molly Ivins, so I assumed that the rest of the country was normal and it was just a local phenomenon. Now I live in Pittsburgh, I find that Pennsylvania is just as peculiar.
Our newly-elected Democratic governor (Ed Rendell) had to submit a budget by last Tuesday. But he didn't have time to put together the budget he wanted to, so he submitted half of his budget with a promise that the rest would be coming soon. But the Republican legislature is racing to pass what they have so far, leaving the second half of his budget, where he addresses most of his campaign promises, out in the cold. So now, two days after submitting the budget, he is busy lobbying the legislature and the population to oppose it. Details here.