Thursday, April 17, 2003

The FIA Does Good

Having admitted that the results of last week's race was screwed up, the FIA are going to do right by Giancarlo Fisichella and have a small ceremony for him on the track at Imola tomorrow, where he and Kimi Raikonnen will apparently swap trophies, and Fernando Alonzo will get a chance (as far as I can tell) to have a moment in the sun, since he was unable to reach the podium at the end of the Brazillian Grand Prix. I still find it amazing (and admirable) that a sport's governning body will not only admit to an error, but will take steps to correct the problem. Far too often it seems that even fixable errors in sport are left alone on the grounds that correcting them will undermine th authority of the ruling organization. Of course it is more often the case that a decision made in the heat of the moment is not one that can be undone, but still it wouldn't kill some of these sports organizations to admit an error was made and look into possible corrections, rather than sweep it under the rug.

On a related note, I will be traveling this Sunday and will miss a race for the first time in several years. Thank goodness for TiVo, which has promised to save it for me so that I can watch it "plausibly live" when I get home. I don't have to rely anybody else to tape it for me or anything, which is seriously cool.