Thursday, May 01, 2003

He's doing what?

Is it just me or is there something vaguely odd and, dare I say it, unseemly about the President flying out to an aircraft carrier as an jet fighter copilot to give a speech? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems to take presidential stunts (extreme presidenting?) to a new low. The cynic in me assumes that there is some really bad news, probably economic, in the pipeline and the President and his advisors are attempting to waylay it in the news cycle with thrilling pictures of W. in a flight suit. This seems more likely since the speech itself is nothing. According to NPR this morning, although Bush is expected to declare the war over, Fleischer is already explaining that hostilities will continue -- apparently that is necessary so that the Geneva Conventions don't require them to release all POWs and stop the search for Hussein.

So we are looking at a publicity stunt to get to a remote site to give a literally meaningless speech. And I don't think I've seen any blogging about this yet -- although I've been offline for a couple of hours.

Update: via Hesiod, I see that he has changed his mind about the two seater plane, and has gone out as "copilot" on a four-seat plane instead. It still seems like a ridiculous stunt to me.