Wednesday, July 09, 2003

The Horror

Our TiVo just went tits-up on us. The power has been marginal all day, and when I tried to turn it on the picture was all locked up. So I hard-booted it (about the only readily accessibly diagnostic tool) and it locked on its opening screen and went no further.

A quick call to Sony confirmed that the only thing they could tell us to do is to unplug it and plug it in again, or send it in for a $160 diagnostic service.

At $200 for a new machine (plus programming fees) the choice seemed easy, but a weekend full of commercials seems terrible!

Update: It turned out that all it needed was to be opened and given a good solid rap on the hard drive while powered up to make it spin again. I'm not betting it will survive another power outage, but a new drive is winging its way towards us as I write. Valerie was so inpsired by my success at this that she bumped her laptop hard on the table and made the wireless network card start working again!

I've always like technology that can be fixed with the right sized hammer.