Thursday, December 04, 2003

Economy Rising

The econcomic news of the last couple of months seems to have been fairly good. GDP rose some 8% in the third quarter, while productivity rose 9.4%. These are probably valuable indicators for the overall economy.

I have my own personal indicator, however, which is a rough tracking of the new job postings at the Pittsburgh Technology Council. As a currently unemployed resident of Allegheny County with a background in Math and Software Development, the appearance this week of 124 job postings so far makes me hope that the economy really is turning around, and that there is a job lurking out there for me. While I am not qualified for many of those jobs, and some are duplicates, this definitely beats the 20 or so postings a week that were coming up in October.