Thursday, December 18, 2003

Movie Time

OK, I'll grant you that I have previously said that I don't really go to movies any more. But that's a relative thing. My wife and I still have a few movies we want to see each year, and a couple of those are ones that we want to see on the big screen instead of renting for TV. Last night, one of those must sees opened to much fanfare. An unusual confluence of events combined, and we found ourselves with both a baby sitter and a pair of tickets to the 7:15 show, so we actually went to see The Return of the King less than 24 hours after it debuted (in the Pittsburgh area, at least). I really can't remember the last time we saw an anticipated blockbuster on the day it opened.

Now, I know that it is fashionable to extend one's geek cred by dissing popular films, but we enjoyed it. My parents used to rent videos and give them ratings based on whether the movie could keep them both awake when they watched it after dinner. There is no doubt in my mind that this flim is a "Two No-Sleeper".

The only thing that I wonder is why intermissions have fallen by the wayside. At over three hours, the theater isn't going to get many showings a night, but a ten-minute break in the middle would help their concession sales and give the audience a chance to stretch a bit. It seems only decent...