Sunday, December 28, 2003

Notes from the Great White North

Greetings from Canada (Montreal to be specific). I apologize in advance for any oddities in this post -- I am trying to use a French keyboard, and many tag-specific bits of punctuation are in very odd places, not to mention shift and return!.

I really don't have much to say, I'm just hiding from the in-laws and watching a little football right now. Tomorrow we get to brave the border crossing back into the U.S. and see if the Orange alert will slow us down at all. As far as I can see, so far the terrorists have made California shake, introduced mad cow disease into the Northwest, and sent L.A. into a total panic. Since the focus of attention is West, I hope we will be OK in the far Northeast.

In the meantime, I have found myself in the odd position of trying to explain (in Franglais -- broken English & broken French) the US attitude towards George Bush to locals. They really don't seem to understand either him or the fact that the press don't seem to editorialize about him. But how do you say 'Whore' in French?