Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Update

I've mostly got a day off from moving preparations today. The floor refinishers are in the house sanding away, and I don't really want to be there at the same time.

In the last three weeks, I've painted 8 rooms (primer & two coats of color), disassembled a bathroom, ripped up carpet, tracked down (but not fixed) a leaky shower, taken a bunch of stuff off the walls, and hosted many contractors & vendors. And this is on a house that would be considered in "move-in" condition! Perhaps we shouldn't have allowed a couple of months between closing and moving &emdash we could have done less. But there was no way I could sleep in a fuchsia bedroom.

Today I am meant to be moving boxes and small pieces of furniture over, but it is rainingsnowing(!) (well, maybe sleeting) and I don't want to go out in it.

I did get out and vote in today's primary, however. By lunchtme I was the 34th Democrat to vote, and 105 Republicans had voted by then. This is partly because I live in the Republican heart of Allegheny county, but I suspect it is also because the only interesting race on the ballot this year is the Toomey/Specter contest over on the GOP side. Now, I might be like Atrios and support Toomey as more beatable, except that that theory didn't work with Bush or, more locally, with Santorum. And it looks like Toomey would be a disaster if he actually got to the Senate.

Perhaps I'll bundle a few weeks of racing news in a different post...